Voter Registration deadline is Oct. 9
The last day to register to vote for the 2018 General Election is Oct. 9, 2018.
Georgia citizens have several convenient methods of registering to vote:
- Download and complete a voter registration application.
- If you have a valid driver's license or identification card issued by the Georgia Department of Driver Services, you may use the State of Georgia's Online Voter Registration System.
- Voter registration applications are available at the county elections office, public libraries, city halls, public assistance offices, and recruitment offices.
- “Motor Voter” registration is available when you renew or apply for a Georgia driver’s license through the Georgia Department of Driver Services.
The completed application may be mailed to:
Newton County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 1274
Covington, GA 30015
To register to vote in the state of Georgia, you must be:
- A citizen of the United States
- A legal resident of Georgia and the county in which you wish to vote
- At least 17 ½ years of age to register and 18 years of age to vote
You may not register to vote if you are currently:
- Serving a sentence for conviction of a felony involving moral turpitude
- Judicially determined to be mentally incompetent
Any Mail-in application must be postmarked by 30 days prior to an election.
Anyone registering to vote for the first time in Georgia by mail must include proper identification with the application. Please enclose a copy of one of the following with your application:
- A copy of a current and valid photo ID
- A copy of a current utility bill
- A copy of a current bank statement
- A copy of a current government check or paycheck
- Or other government document that shows your name and address
Once an application is processed and accepted, a voter registration card will be sent to you. This card will provide you with your voting information. You can also visit the My Voter Page to verify the status of your voter registration.
Click here to visit the MVP.
Every time you move, or have a name change, it is your responsibility to change your registration 30 days prior to the next election to be eligible to vote in that election.