Code Enforcement

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


The Newton County Code Enforcement Department is dedicated to promoting and maintaining standards to preserve and enhance the quality of life for our community. It is our objective to educate citizens regarding County regulations, encourage community involvement, and obtain voluntary compliance of County ordinances. 

The Newton County Code Enforcement Department accepts complaints vIa phone, fax, and online. A physical address, map & parcel number, and/or a lot number and street name must be provided in order to file a complaint. 

If the physical address of the property you wish to file a complaint on is located in the city limits of Covington, Oxford, Porterdale, Mansfield, or Newborn, please contact their City Hall for assistance. NCCE does not have jurisdiction to enforce city regulations. 

Please specify if you wish to remain anonymous when filing a complaint. 

  1. Complainants may request anonymity when making the initial complaint. You must state that you wish to remain anonymous on the complaint form, email, or voicemail. 
  2. Each reported alleged violation should require the submitting of a separate form for each individual violation location or any new (subsequent to the initial complaint) violations occurring on the property.
  3. Without the complainant’s testimony in court it may not be possible to prosecute violations in court.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TENANTS.......Newton County does not have a housing maintenance code requiring landlords to maintain certain living conditions. You may contact the Georgia Department of Community Affairs at 404-679-4940 or for additional resources on landlord-tenant rights and responsibilities. 

NCCE Hotline# 678-625-1666

NCCE FAX# 770-784-2118

NCCE Online Link - Code Enforcement Complaint Form

C. Gonzalez - Officer - or 678-625-1661
R. Campbell- Officer or 678-625-1657


The Newton County Code Enforcement Department enforces the following ordinances: 

Litter Control & Solid Waste Ordinance – Typical complaints filed under this ordinance:

Litter Control and Solid Waste Managment Ordinance

  • Dumping – discarding a large mass of debris, material, garbage, etc. on a property or roadside.

  • Junk – cars, appliances, equipment, furniture, etc. placed outside of dwelling.

  • Unwelcome circulation of pamphlets & newspapers outside of mailbox.

  • Property Maintenance outside of home/business- uncut grass, trash, etc.

  • Recycling Center violations -leaving trash bags outside of center's gate when closed, improper use, etc.

  • Operation of illegal landfills.

Zoning Ordinance – Typical complaints filed under this ordinance:

  • Signs – Improper erection of ground signs, weekend directionals, wall signs, window signs, temp., etc.

  • Improper parking of Commercial & Recreational vehicles.

  • Accessory structure location.

  • Livestock & Livestock quarters- location of quarters, excessive amount of hoofed animals per fenced acre, etc.

  • Operation of a kennel – The keeping of more than 3 or animals.

  • Fencing regulations - height restrictions and material regulations.

  • Failure to renew temporary permits for manufactured homes-hardships.

  • Failure to comply with zoning conditions.

  • Illegal operation of Group homes.

  • Illegal operation of Day Care facilities & centers.

  • Business operations – Failure to comply with home occupation zoning guidelines or operating a business in an improper zoning district.

  • Encroachment in to buffers.

Occupational Tax/Business License Ordinance – Typical complaints filed under this ordinance:

  • Operating a business without a license and failure to renew occupational tax/business license. 

  • Outdoor storage, customers/employees at the home, & commercial vehicles parked at home-based business..

Alcohol Beverage Ordinance - Typical complaints filed under this ordinance:

  • Improper sales, serving, or packaging of alcoholic beverages.

  • Failure to renew Alcohol Beverage License.

Development Regulations - Typical complaints filed under this ordinance:

  • Failure to comply with approved plans.

  • Encroachment in to easement/buffers.

Nuisance Abatement Ordinances - Typical complaints filed under this ordinance: 

  • Homes & structures that are in disrepair, dilapidated, or burned.

  • Abandoned swimming pools.


View Full Site